Ethical Dilemma/Decision Essay Question:
An ethical dilemma is one in which a person has to choose between two options, both of which are morally correct but in conflict. Therefore, it is up to the individual to decide how to solve the problem, based on their own sense of right and wrong.
Below are three* examples of situations that present dilemmas what require ethical decisions:
- Corey is drunk and stuck at a party thirty miles from home with nobody sober to drive him. He’s not happy with any of his options. What should he do?
- Katy cringes every time she hears her friends use words like “retarded” or “gay” in a derogatory manner. Should she object when it happens, or should she let it pass so people won’t think she is weird?
- Brian has the perfect summer job, thanks to his dad. But when Brian finds out that some of his co-workers (including some with families to support) make significantly less money than he does even though they’ve been there much longer, he feels conflicted. What should he do?
*Examples above are from goodcharacter.com – The Daily Dilemma Archive by Charis Denison
Write about a time when you had to make a decision about doing the right thing.
- What was the dilemma/problem?
- What did you choose to do?
- Do you think you made a good decision?
- Why or why not?
- Looking back, would you change anything?
Note: Your response to your dilemma and your decision about what you did should be approximately 500 words.